Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Giant Swirl

Often I find myself sitting in my workshop, which is also my spaceship for hours on end, sifting through all the wonderful pieces of “what the heck is that” that have accumulated over the years. Things found on the street, things that the local inhabitants of my neighborhood donate to the cause by leaving there garbage on my doorstep or at my local watering hole. Broken chairs and video machines are all the craze this summer. Picking up one piece of junk and trying to match it to another can often take hours, but there are also the times when things just fall nicely into place. I once woke from my peaceful slumber with the idea for a frame in my foggy head. With out giving it a second thought I pulled the futon from the spare room and started cutting it into it’s predestine lengths. Went back to bed when I was done and woke up a few hours later only to find my futon was gone and my dream was leaning against the wall in my living room.
What you just read there was an excerpt from an internet article I was asked to write some time ago about the creative process. I was very excited to be a part of it and quickly went to work on my first ever web published piece of writing. When I was done I sent it off eagerly awaiting a response as to when I could see my word on the world wide web, that was two years ago, know body has contacted me since. Ah well, we all must solider on.The piece I was writing about was the one you see above. I had started the illustrations some eighteen years ago. I was using the backs of 16x20 black and white photos that I had messed up in printing, and me not being one who likes to waste thought I could put them to good use. Or maybe I was just to cheep to buy paper.
All the above is true. It was my futon and I did create the frame in a drowsy haze. It had been sitting packed away for years in my portfolio because I had no idea what to do with it. Looking back now I see that it was the beginnings of my recycling, and swirl obsessions.
The piece has been hanging up in the Starlight lounge in Kitchener/Waterloo area now for about four years. I think they may have squatter’s rights now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home