Monday, July 03, 2006

Electric Guitar Side Table

I don’t know how to start this entry. I have had this guitar body for quite some time now, and I have always wanted to build and instrument from it. A friend of mine Dave had made this body a few years ago. Being the busy man he is the project had to be abandoned, so he passed it on to me as a gift.
The longer I had it sitting in my space room the more I thought about building an electric guitar. It seemed that at some point, which I am not very clear on this voice started whispering to me, asking me what I knew about building electric guitars. I thought you made experimental instruments? Do you even know how to play and electric guitar, or acoustic for that matter? What do you know about tension, action, intonation, and tunings? So in all honesty I thought to myself, these are great questions and they deserve and answer, but that’s not going to happen here. I did what had to be done. I shut that little voice down with my own special bleed of potato based beverages and proceeded to build my first real electric guitar. The first thing I needed was a neck for the body so I started the long and thorough task of carving one out of a nice piece of oak I had from a counter top we were pulling out of a house. Once the neck was done all I had to do was calculate the fret placement add the pickups and the string her up. All these things combined were about ten times easier than carving that neck and heck the body was already build with all the appropriate holes in place. So how did this become a side table? Good question. As I was piecing everything together I placed the body on a little stand that was sitting beside me in the space room so I could place the electronics in and wire them up. Like most projects I work on I find I can get distracted at the drop of a hat, after all I do work in a space room. So needless to say the body sat on that stand for days, and as those days increased in number so did the things that were piled on to of the body. I could no longer see the electronics, just there to add screws. I do still think of adding strings, but that might be a bit of overkill. I think I random tools and scraps of metal. At that point the instrument had rebuilt itself into a side table, and I realized that I was just will take a page from Dave’s book and abandon it where it is.

On a side note I would like to point out that I left one of the holes open so I could have a place to store all my picks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home